Dry shampoo is an essential for lady road warriors.
I have a confession. I do not travel with shampoo and conditioner unless my trip is longer than seven days. And no, I do not use the shampoo and conditioner provider by the hotel. Instead, I rely on dry shampoo. You may be thinking, “What is dry shampoo? Isn’t shampoo supposed to be wet to clean my hair?” Let me explain.
What is Dry Shampoo?
Dry shampoo cleans your hair without using water. It typically comes in an aerosol spray can, powder form, or a liquid form. Dry shampoo works by absorbing the oil from your hair and scalp, which makes it look fresh (and for, adds volume). Keep in mind, dry shampoo is not meant to replace washing your hair with regular shampoo completely, but it is a great way to go longer between washes.
Why Travel With Dry Shampoo?
Dry shampoo has many benefits. A big one is that you are skipping a day of heat damage from blow drying but there are three clear benefits for lady road warriors.
- Save Time: If I wash my hair in the morning, I am going to require at least an hour from start to finish to get ready. By skipping the wash and blow-dry process, I can shave off at least 30 minutes, which means 30 minutes of extra sleep or time to workout before breakfast.
- Save Space: Packing dry shampoo means you are not packing shampoo or conditioner, which frees up valuable space in your liquid toiletry bag.
- Beat Humidity: According to health.com, dry shampoo can help hair of any texture in humid climate.
How to Use Dry Shampoo
Dry shampoo is easy to use. I would suggest trying it a couple times on the weekend before you pack it along for an important business trip.
- Find a dry shampoo that will work the best for your hair (blondes should use white or light colored, brunettes should use a dark color).
- Brush your hair and remove any accessories like pins or clips.
- Add a small amount down the top of your head, where you part your hair.
- Then, divide your hair into sections. Create a few parts (1″-2″ sections) and apply the dry shampoo. There is a great visual of this on Marie Claire.
- After you have applied, flip your head over and shake it over.
- Gently brush and style your hair.
5 Travel Size Dry Shampoos
This week for our Friday Finds, we found five travel size dry shampoos to try out on your next business trip.
Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo Powder: The Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo Powder is my favorite. When applied, it refreshes, revives and rejuvenates your hair in a matter of minutes. It also adds a lot of volume. Best for oily hair. 2.5 oz., $21, Kohls. Also, try Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo Powder Spray for blonds or medium colored hair (pictured above), $11.00, Amazon.com.
What is your favorite dry shampoo? Please comment below!
Business Travel Life
Business Travel Life is an online resource supporting the road warrior lifestyle. We give business travelers the tools they need to maintain their wellness and productivity when traveling. The topics we cover include business travel tips, travel workouts, healthy travel hacks, travel products, general travel tips, and industry trends. Our goal is to make business travel a healthier experience – and to make healthy travel practices more accessible to all road warriors.